Super-Plex 100 Watt Head $3,699.00 - BUY NOW
As the Metro-Plex is to the iconic '68 era Superlead plexi, the Super-Plex is to the earlier KT66 based plexis. From the tweed tone origins of the JTM 45 to the thundering 45/100 amps that changed guitar tone forever, those tones are present and accounted for in the Super-Plex. More organic and less aggressive than the Metro-Plex, the Super-Plex makes you work a little harder, then rewards you with timeless guitar tones. Cream, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Eric Johnson...you'll find those sounds in this amp.
The stock MODE is based on George Metropoulos' 1966 JTM 45 and goes from clean plexi tones to classic rock overdrive. Hit the mid cut switch and you'll hint at late '50s tweed tones. Crank the mids and you enter into vintage AC30 territory. The dirty MODE picks up where the stock mode leaves off. Saturated overdrive with singing legato notes and driven, but still organic, chunky rhythm tones. So thick and musical, even with single coils. Add our built in BOOST and you'll think you got in a time machine, went back to 1966 and patched a treble booster in front of a pinstripe stack. The hairy, fuzzy tones revisit those heard in early rock live recordings and bootlegs. Think Hendrix at Monterey in '67, Cream at Grande Ballroom in Detroit 1967, Led Zeppelin at Texas International Pop Festival in '69.
- Two switchable gain levels. MODE OFF is based on George's 1966 block end JTM 45. MODE ON is a dirtier voicing with more gain and saturation.
- All the following functions are accessible via the footswitch:
- - BOOST on or off
- - MODE on or off
- - LOOP on or off
- BOOST is a separate function, which can be applied to either mode. Think of it as a high voltage, clean boost in front of the amp with dedicated TREBLE and BASS EQs.
- Variac mode simulates using a variac to operate a plexi at 90V AC.
- Switchable for 50 or 100 watts output.
- Matching 4-12 and 2-12 cabs designed, loaded and voiced specifically with this amp.
- - Output: 100 watts RMS, 150 watts peak
- - Weight: 46 lbs / 21 kg
- - Dimensions: 29" x 10.75" x 8.25" (736mm x 275mm x 205mm) (feet not included, add 1.25" to height)
- - AC operation: 100, 120, 230, 240V AC 50HZ, 60HZ
- - Inputs: high, low
- - Controls: gain, treble, middle, bass, presence, master volume, boost gain, boost master, boost treblw, boost bass
- - Switches: power, standby, variac, mid cut
- - Outputs: speaker impedance, speaker jacks (2)
- - Footswitch: 5 pin DIN, 230 degree, TRS (boost, mode), TS (loop)
- - FX loop: send, return, level
- - Power switch: 100W, 50W
- - AC input: IEC
- - Fuses: 4A slo mains, 1A slo high voltage, 1A slo gma internal
Metro-Plex vs Super-Plex
Lance Keltner demo
Lance pedal demo
Super-Plex + Whitfill
"I remember hearing about Metropoulos amps over 10 years ago. When I first moved to LA I finally got to hear and try one in person at the LA Amp show. It was George's 45/100 head through an old large style 4x12 cab. It blew my mind! I knew at that point George was a very rare breed. Someone that has the technical knowledge, but also had the ears to build and REALLY fine tune an amp to what he was hearing; and I'd liked what he was hearing, a lot! The Superplex is everything I loved about that 45/100 head, combined with the functions I'd been using using on its predecessor, the Metro-Plex. This isn't an amp for whimps... it's big, glassy and articulate, with nowhere to hide. The note detail and harmonic content are truly inspiring. Although it's based on a plexi style amp, and has been compared to a tweed twin on steroids, for me it has all this, but it has something beyond. It's own thing. The Metropoulos Super-Plex really is something special." - Owen Barry
"I finally got the Super Plex home today (it has been sitting in my office in NYC since you shipped it). It is absolutely OFF THE CHARTS! I can’t describe how blown away I am. I thought it might take an hour or so to dial in the tone, but from the minute I plugged in it was absolutely clear that the SP is in a league of its own. Congratulations George – you’ve created a truly stunning machine!! The clarity, definition and bite is unlike anything I’ve heard before and range in the EQ stack is just friggin’ ridiculous!! Having played for an hour I felt like one of Joe Pesci’s victims in Goodfellas!!! This thing is just killer! Just wanted to give you some quick feedback… Seriously – the amp is incomparable and totally inspirational!! You and Cris must be totally psyched! Congratulations George!!" - Peter
"Holy. Shit. I don't even have words, George. I've been A/B'ing with the MP. They're not even remotely the same animal. Even with the MP in 66 mode on the low gain setting. The one thing I've noticed is how much more headroom the SP has over the MP. I can turn the SP master up and it's like not having a master volume. The MP has a lot of gain hiss even if you set the gain to 3 and the master past 6 (which I'm hoping is normal). Both are ridiculously incredible...I almost feel guilty owning so many amazing amps. My wall of Metropoulos is a sight to behold for sure. Can't wait for the other additions later this year. Next I need to A/B the SP against my 45/100. The bass and treble controls for the boost section are amazing for sculpting. There are so many great tones, I can't stop playing and exploring the amps. Absolute genius." - Rick Van Dyne